Mary Poppins is one of my all time favourite films, I still love everything about the film. Julie Andrews is practically perfect in every way as the title character Mary Poppins and while it has some tough messages, it also has some lovely feel good moments to go along with it. Not forgetting some amazing songs! So with the release of Mary Poppins Returns coming in the next few weeks, what better way to celebrate than putting together my 10 favourite quotes from the original film?
10. “Will you be good enough to explain all this?” “First of all, I would like to make one thing quite clear.” “Yes?” “I never explain anything.”
9. “Close your mouth, please Michael. We are not a codfish.”
8. “Neither am I a Maypole. Kindly stop spinning about me.”
7. “Speakin’ o’ names, I know a man with a wooden leg named Smith” “What’s the name of his other leg?”
6. “We can’t have them gallivanting up there like kangaroos, can we?”
5. “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and – SNAP – the job’s a game!”
4. “A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down!”
2. “Practically perfect in every way”
1. [singing] “With tuppence for paper and strings, you can have your own set of wings! With your feet on the ground you’re a bird in flight, with your fist holding tight to the string of your kite! Oh, oh, oh, let’s go fly a kite, up to the highest height! Let’s go fly a kite, and send it soaring! Up through the atmosphere, up where the air is clear! Oh, let’s go… fly a kite!” (Mr Banks)
What are your favourite quotes from Mary Poppins?